- Global Health electives are available to 4th year medical students who are in good academic standing and have completed their core requirements prior to the elective.
- Third year medical students may receive permission on a case-by-case basis.
- Medical students may pursue an elective at one of the Mount Sinai Global Health Center’s partner sites.
- Students may also arrange foreign electives offered by non-U.S. medical schools or other well-known international organizations; all such electives must be discussed and pre-approved by the Global Health Center. Some opportunities may be found here.
- Please click here to view a list of global health electives that were recently completed by MSSM medical students. By clicking “continue search” at the bottom of the search page, you be able to view a complete list of elective opportunities.
- We are in the process of further developing the global health clinical electives database. Please contribute to the list by completing our database questionnaire.
- Funding preference is given to students doing research or a public health project at a GHC partner site.
- Language electives and purely clinical electives are usually not funded.
- No funding will be given for electives that are less than 4 weeks long.
- Students must be working with an underserved population.
- There are many external grant opportunities available for clinical electives. List of sources.
- In order to receive one week’s credit, you must spend at least 40 hours during the week on this educational experience.
- You may not be under the direct supervision of any family members or individuals with whom you have a personal relationship.
- Students requesting more than 4 weeks of credit for a clinical elective must get special permission from the Student Affairs office. Please contact Peter Gliatto (firstname.lastname@example.org), Associate Dean for Undergraduate Medical Education and Student Affairs.
- In order to receive credit for the elective, you need to have your on-site mentor/supervisor fill out a Clinical Elective Evaluation/Grade form for the registrar’s office.
- Medical students who are proposing to do a global health elective for credit must submit an online Global Health Clinical Electives application form.
- Obtain a formal letter from your ON SITE MENTOR/SUPERVISOR confirming his/her approval and agreement to policies: 1) Student must spend at least 40 hours per week under supervision in order to receive one week of credit & 2) Supervisor must submit an evaluation of the student’s work at the completion of the elective experience. You will upload the signed letter of acceptance from your on-site mentor directly onto the application form.
- MSGH will review your application and request for funding. All international/global health electives must be approved by the Global Health Center faculty prior to travel. We will notify you of our decision by email.
- If any proposed changes, you will be asked to write an addendum to your application and get this addendum approved by MSGH faculty.
- MSGH will forward your approved application to Kamila Bryson in the registrar’s office who will send you an email confirmation that the elective is approved; be sure to reply back to Kamila to confirm your intent to participate in this elective.
- Complete the requirements on the pre-trip checklist (see below) at least 4 weeks prior to departure.
1. Make sure you get your necessary vaccinations. MSGH does not cover the costs for your vaccinations and neither do most insurance companies.
- Please click here fo r Pre Travel Health Care Instructions for Students.
2. You are responsible for reviewing any State Department Travel warnings. While a State Department travel warning does not necessarily preclude an elective in that country or region, it does require meeting with your mentor and/or MSGH faculty member to discuss risks and benefits.
6. International SOS MyTrips Portal
Register your trip on the SOS MyTrips Portal: SOS MyTrips Portal.
International SOS provides travelers with evacuation insurance as well as 24/7 access to world-class medical and security services via their global network of Assistance Centers and networks. If you booked your trip through AXIOM you were automatically registered with International SOS and do not need to register again.
7. Complete the Pre-Trip Requirements.
- Travel Registration Form/ Mount Sinai Legal Waiver
- Safety and Security Video and Questionnaire
- Health Session
9. We also encourage students to contribute photos, videos, blogs, or written reflective pieces that we can post on our website.
- In order to receive credit for the elective, you must have your on-site mentor/supervisor fill out a Clinical Elective Evaluation/Grade form. You are responsible for returning this completed form to Kamila Bryson in the registrar’s office.
- Submit your Clinical Elective Evaluation/Grade form to Kamila Bryson (email@example.com) in Annenberg 13-30. This step is mandatory in order to receive elective credit.
- Complete a Global Health Clinical Electives Evaluation Form that is submitted on the MSGH website.
- Acknowledge the support from Mount Sinai Global Health, in any presentations, abstracts or publications.
- Submit any key photos/videos from your elective experience to MSGH at: firstname.lastname@example.org