International electives are available to fourth year medical students who are in good academic standing. Third year students may receive permission on a case by case basis, and should discuss their elective plans with the Student Affairs office and Mount Sinai Global Health prior to proceeding. In order to receive one week’s credit, you must spend at least 40 hours during the week on this educational experience. You may not be under the direct supervision of any family members or individuals with whom you have a personal relationship.
Before submitting this application form, ensure that you complete the following pre-trip checklist:
- Visit the CDC travel website several months prior to departure to determine whether you need any vaccines.
- Please click here for Pre Travel Health Care Instructions for Students.
- Confirm that your health insurance covers emergency medical care in the country you’ll be working and/or visiting.
- Review the State Department website to determine if there are any travel warnings for the country you plan to visit.
- Confirm that your passport is up to date. If your passport is expired or will expire within 6 months of your arrival in-country, renew immediately.
- Determine if you need a visa to visit the country
- Complete all required pre-trip requirements.